Join Our Mailing List
Email:

Home > UNS > 150324-01

RELEASE NUMBER: 150324-01
DATE POSTED: MARCH 24, 2015

USASOC recognizes Soldier and Civilian volunteers during ceremony

by Sgt. 1st Class Thaddius S. Dawkins II
USASOC Public Affairs

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, March 24, 2015) -- The U.S.  Army Special Operations Command (USASOC) hosted its second annual Volunteer Recognition Ceremony in the Heritage Auditorium inside USASOC Headquarters March 23, 2015.

"We realize, at our level, our mortality," said Lt. Gen. Charles T. Cleveland, commanding general, USASOC. "We realize what's important in life is what you give, not what you get or what you accrued. It's what, at this stage, you give back. In fact those working here in this headquarters have tons to give back. You wouldn't have excelled and reached this point in your careers, working to help the best Soldiers in the United States of America, and without a doubt, the best Soldiers in the world do the important work they do out there if you weren't good. Inherently, that goodness about who you are and the professionalism that you have exhibited to be here means that you also have the things to give back, not only to those who are rising up through the ranks and those that you send out there, but also to your communities."

The ceremony recognized 18 Department of the Army Civilians and 11 Soldiers within USASOC and the U.S. Army Special Operations Aviation Command (Airborne) who have contributed significant volunteer hours in their communities. Over the last year, those individuals have filled 87 volunteer positions in 60 different organizations and volunteered nearly 10,000 hours of their own time in 11 cities spanning over four counties.

"The almost 10,000 hours of volunteer work is close to five full-time jobs that the volunteers took part in," said Julie Rooney, USASOC's events coordinator.

Cathy Boggs, who works in the USASOC G-1, was recognized during the ceremony and has volunteered with the Disabled American Vets for more than 10 years.

"I've met a lot of new people," she said speaking about her time as a volunteer. "I volunteer for the DAV and I will meet Veterans from World War II, all the way down to the guys just getting out. I get to talk to them about their experiences and what they need help with, what's going right and what's not going right, then I try to assist them."

For anyone looking to get involved with volunteer work in their community, Sgt. Gecyca Martin, a human resources noncommissioned officer in the USASOC G-1, had some advice.

"Find something you enjoy because that will end up being a lot more fun for you," she said. "There are a lot of organizations and local businesses that support the Soldiers and a lot of time, whether we realize it or not, they need our help. Those organizations that provide a lot for us Soldiers and members of the community need our support as well."