Join Our Mailing List
Email:

Home > UNS > 140520-02

RELEASE NUMBER: 140520-02
DATE POSTED: MAY 20, 2014

Dedication honors SF hero

By Staff Sgt. V. Michelle Woods
40th Public Affairs Detachment

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, May 20, 2014) -- A solemn and still audience of family members, supporters and former team members of Medal of Honor recipient Staff Sgt. Robert J. Miller, a weapons sergeant with Company A, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), gathered together for the dedication of the 3rd SFG (A) Headquarters building May 19, 2014, thus changing its name to Miller Hall. 

“I know Staff Sgt. Miller would be extremely proud that his legacy is going to grace this building,” said 3rd SFG (A) Commander Col. Patrick B. Roberson. “From now on I’m going to have the honor of seeing Staff Sgt. Miller’s image adorning our building. When I walk through the doors, I’ll think about him and I’ll think about the quality of Soldier he represents. I know we all will.”

According to his family, as a child, Miller was known to have his hands in a broad spectrum of hobbies that helped him refine his leadership skills. He played sports like baseball and basketball, but his interests also included playing the trumpet and gymnastics. In high school, Miller’s patient demeanor and ability to lead at a young age made him the ideal instructor for teaching autistic children.  

Described as a natural-born leader by those who knew him best, it was no surprise Miller joined the Army.

Five years prior to that infamous day when Taliban fighters opened fire on his team in Kunar Province, Afghanistan, the passionate and driven former Boy Scout enlisted in the U.S. Army as a Special Forces trainee.

Miller’s former team leader, Maj. Robert Cusick said after that day he and the team members who fought beside Miller look at life from a different perspective. He said many of their lives were changed that day.

Unlike other dedications made in Miller’s honor, Cusick said this building would serve as a daily reminder of their friend who made the ultimate sacrifice so they could live.

The memory of Miller’s selfless courage lives in the hearts of his team, but for those who didn’t know him, Miller Hall will serve as a reminder of a real hero to every person who walks through the doors.

“Robbie’s grin will welcome everybody into the building,” Cusick said.

Cusick had a personal message to Miller’s parents, Phil and Maureen Miller and the members of 3rd Special Forces Group.

“When I see my own scars, my immediate thoughts go to Robbie, his family and the men who were with me that dreadful day,” said Cusick.

“Getting to know you and your family over the years shows us the caliber of man your son was,” he said. “We look forward to many more years of keeping memories of your son alive. To the Soldiers of 3rd Special Forces Group, in attendance today there are many heroes and elite warriors. Let this dedication serve as an example to the past, present and future force of 3rd Special Forces Group.”