Join Our Mailing List
Email:

Home > UNS > 140725-01

RELEASE NUMBER: 140725-01
DATE POSTED: JULY 25, 2014

2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment change of command ceremony

by Sgt. James Bunn
5th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment

JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Wash. (USASOC News Service, July 25, 2014) - Rangers from 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment bid farewell to Col. Gregory K. Anderson during a change of command ceremony at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, July 24.

During the ceremony, Rangers assembled in formation on Watkins Field to witness Anderson relinquish command to Lt. Col. Jay Bartholomees.

“As I reflect back, I certainly hope I have been able to serve with honor and to give back a fraction of all that has been given to me,” said Anderson. “To my beloved Rangers of 2nd Battalion, I am most in debt to you. Each of you embodies the spirit of the American volunteer. You embody the American fighting spirit, which inspires everyone you touch to be better. I am in debt to you; for you embody the innovative, self-reliant warrior.”

Anderson assumed command of the battalion in June 2012 and shortly thereafter deployed with the unit to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

In his two years as commander, Anderson deployed with the battalion two more times and developed the most challenging training this regiment has ever seen, said Col. Christopher Vanek, commander of the 75th Ranger Regiment.

“Subsequently, Greg’s legacy as the commander of the 2nd Ranger Battalion is etched in lore,” said Vanek. “He led one of the most successful combat deployments.”

Anderson will be attending the U.S. Army War College at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania. He will assume command of the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vicenza, Italy, following completion of the War College.

The incoming commander is no stranger to the Rangers or the battalion. Bartholomees served with 2nd Battalion as a Ranger rifle platoon leader and later as the liaison and executive officer.
Bartholomees and his family of five transitioned to JBLM from Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, where he was the commander of 2nd Battalion, 35th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division.

“Thank you for entrusting me with the command of the 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment,” said Bartholomees. “I am honored to serve our nation’s finest sons, understanding much more will be asked of us in the future. It’s apparent that you are the best. Rangers lead the way.”